Dr. Farhod Karimov joined Westminster International University in Tashkent (WIUT) in 2007 as a lecturer of Marketing. In 2014 he was appointed as Deputy Rector to lead the development of WIUT Pre-University courses and Lyceum. As a principal lecturer in Business discipline, Farhod leads postgraduate and undergraduate programs in the areas of marketing and management.
Before joining the WIUT, he started his career in business as Vice-President of Marketing at Ulugbek-Textile JSC by the nomination of the Ministry of Light Industry of Uzbekistan (2002-2006). From 2012 to 2014, he was Head of the Department of Management Theory and Practice at the Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan. He is also actively involved in providing a professional freelance consulting in marketing to support local entrepreneurship in Uzbekistan. There are such big names among his local consulting projects as Artel Electronics, JV UzDongJu, Jurabek Laboratories, Texnika Advance Servis, MexMashAgro, Korzinka.uz, TechnoPlaza, Newmax Technologies, SAG, UzAvtoSanoat, UzbekTelecom and etc.
His research interests are broadly in the domain of website atmospherics, web security, online trust, social-media in e-commerce and entrepreneurial marketing. He has published in a range of well-established international journals such as Electronic Commerce Research, Management Research Review, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, International Journal of E-Entrepreneurship and Innovation, International Journal of E-Adoption, Marketing Cahier, and etc. He has presented his findings at numerous international conferences in Germany, France, Italy, Turkey and Belgium.
EDUCATION / ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION:
- 2011 - PhD, Applied Economics, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- 2001-MA, Marketing, University of Ulster
- 2000-BBA, Tashkent State Technical University
TEACHING AND LEARNING:
- Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior
- Internet Marketing
- Project Management
- Marketing Management
EXPERTISE (RESEARCH AREA/INTEREST):
- Entrepreneurial marketing
- Social media and Internet marketing
- Web atmospherics and e-commerce
- ICT research in transition economies
- Branding and country-of-origin information effect
- Web security, payment systems and trust in online shopping
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Associate Professor at Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Associate Professor at Tashkent State University of Economics
- A professional expert of Marketing Association of Uzbekistan
- A badge for 25 years of independence of the Republic of Uzbekistan (2016)
- Scholarship grant «Умид» of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan (2000)
- Van Hove, L. & Karimov, F.P. (2015). The role of risk in e-retailers’ adoption of payment: evidence for transitioning economies. Electronic Commerce Research. IMPACT FACTOR : 2.020
- Safarov, O. & Karimov, F.P. (2014). Умумтаълим мактаб раҳбарлари салоҳиятининг таълим сифатига таъсири, Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 2 сон.
- Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2014). An examination of trust assurances adopted by top internet retailers: unveiling some critical determinants, Electronic Commerce Research. IMPACT FACTOR : 2.020
- Karimov, F.P. (2013). Марказий Осиёдаги бизнес-истеъмолчи электрон тижорат веб-саҳифаларининг ривожланиш жараёни. Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 1 сон.
- Karimov, F.P. (2013). Social Media Marketing: Do Social Networks Provide A Signal of Trustworthiness? Ўз.Р. Президенти хузуридаги ДБА Жамият ва Бошқарув журнали, 3 сон.
- Brengman, M. & Karimov, F.P. (2012). The Effect of Web Communities on Consumers’ Initial Trust in B2C E-Commerce Websites. Management Research Review, Special Issue on Social Media Marketing, Vol. 35 No. 9, 2012 pp. 791-817.
- Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2011). Adoption of Social-Media by Online Retailers: Assessment of Current Practices and Future Directions. International Journal of E-Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2(1), 26-45.
- Karimov, F.P. (2011). Factors Influencing E-Commerce Growth: A Comparative Study of Central Asian Transition Economies. International Journal of E-Adoption, 3 (4), 29-43.
- Brengman, M. & Karimov, F.P. (2011). Social Media Marketing: [R] Evolution of Top E-Commerce Retailers. Marketing Cahier, Volume: 2011, N. 1: 31-36.
- Karimov, F.P., Brengman, M. & Van Hove, L. (2011). The Effect of Website Design Dimensions on Initial Trust: A Synthesis of the Empirical Literature. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, 12 (4), 272-301. IMPACT FACTOR : 1.306
- Conferences and seminars
- Karimov, F.P. (2016). Small Business Competitiveness and Economic Performance: Does Marketing Capability Matter? The Improvement of Measures and Mechanisms for Strengthening Macroeconomic Stability, Providing Sustainable Development and Enhancing Competitiveness of the National Economy. Tashkent
- Karimov, F.P. (2016). Trends in the ICT sector: e-marketing and e-commerce in Uzbekistan. International Conference on Inclusive and Sustainable Growth: Current Issues. Central Bank of Uzbekistan. Tashkent.
- Karimov, F.P. & Tokhtaeva, Z. (2016). Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Strategic Marketing: Conceptualization of Critical Factors for Economic Growth. International Conference on Entrepreneurship and Industrial Management (ICEIM 2016), 18-19 November, MDIS Tashkent.
- Karimov, F.P. & Nishanov, B. (2015). The Importance of Country-of-Origin Information and Perceived Product Quality in Uzbekistan: A Longitudinal Study. International Conference on Marketing (ICM 2015), 18-19 November, MDIS Tashkent.
- Van Hove, L. & Karimov, F.P. (2014). The role of risk in e-retailers’ adoption of payment: evidence for transitioning economies. European Central Bank (ECB) Banque de France Conference, October 22-24, Paris.
- Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2011). The Role of Online Social Media Applications in Initial Trust Formation Towards
- nknown E-Retailers. In Proceedings of the IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems: IADIS
- International Conference on Web Based Communities and Social Media 2011. pp. 73-80. International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS), Rome, Italy, July 20-26. Editors: Kommers, P., Bessis, N. and Isais, P.
- Karimov, F.P. & Brengman, M. (2010). The role of website design factors in initial trust formation. In Proceedings of the IADIS Multi Conference On Computer Science and Information Systems: IADIS International Conference e-Commerce 2010, pp. 179-183. International Association for Development of the Information Society (IADIS), Freiburg Germany, July 28-30. Editors: Krishnamurthy, S., Singh, G., & McPherson, M.
- Karimov F., 2010. ‘The effect of website design on consumer initial trust’, poster presentation at the “VUB-PhD Research Day”, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. May 28, 2010.
- Karimov F., 2009. ‘Trust in the Context of Online shopping: A Review’, paper presented at EconAnadolu 2009: Anadolu International Conference in Economics, June 17-19, 2009, Eskişehir, Turkey.
- Karimov F., 2009. ‘Building initial trust via website design’, poster presentation at the “VUB-ES Navorsingsdag 2009”, Fortis Auditorium Brussel, Belgium. September 18, 2009.
- Presented topic: “The Classroom Management Strategies”. Westminster International University in Tashkent. First Teaching and Learning Symposium. 06.2008
- Published topic: The Role of IT in the Development of National Economy: E-marketing and SMEs – problems and success factors. 4th Annual Conference Proceedings “Towards a knowledge economy in Central Asia”. Westminster International University in Tashkent. 05.2007
- Published topic: “The Role of Information Technology in Increasing Competitiveness: e – business and e – commerce in Uzbekistan”. Westminster International University in Tashkent, Conference Proceedings: “Business at the Heart of Central Asia: Critical Issues of Competition and Competitiveness”. 05.2005
- Published topic: The ways of e-business and their role in changing business activity in Uzbekistan. IV Annual Conference organized by Istedod Foundation, July 2005, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Volume II.